Wednesday, June 13, 2012

POST 013 - Refuge Continued - Big Meadow

Day 10 - Wednesday, June 13
Dawn 50 degrees, Rain & Fog
10:30am 68 degrees, Sun, light steady breeze

I am staying at the Big Meadows Campground on Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park for a few days. It is up in a cloud and storms are regular, sometimes torrential. In between when the sun comes out, it is warm and pleasant. Frankly, even the rain is pleasant.

My tent is holding up well, the sleeping mat is a thing of joy. Spending the night in the tent is an event to look forward to, not one to dread. This morning at dawn it was blustery and completely fogged in. Visibility was about 25 feet. I walked by my darkly covered bike to find a deer standing next to it. We looked at one another and moved on.

During the day I am editing my book Road Wise. I use the Big Meadows Lodge, about a quarter mile from my tent, as a base of operation. It's wonderfully decadent and productive.

My plan is one more day here and then three days down the Parkway to Cherokee, North Carolina. That will be the jumping off place to the Great Smokey Mountains, the next phase of the journey.

I found a way to get photos on this journal again, but I do not have great control over them in terms of size or placement. I'll keep working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment